What makes Richmond Friends School Unique?
Richmond Friends School (RFS) is a Preschool – 8th grade independent Quaker school providing high-quality educational experiences that nurture individual gifts and meet the needs of the whole child. The school’s multi-age, low student-to-teacher ratio classrooms enable one-to-one instruction and innovative learning methods. This encourages students to recognize, comprehend and conquer challenges both inside and outside the classroom. Through outdoor education, community involvement, and project-based curriculum, students are encouraged to think critically and collaborate with peers and teachers. This unique educational setting encourages our students to become lifelong learners committed to making the world a better place.
- Educating the whole child: addressing individual skill levels; customized curriculum; acknowledging mental, emotional, and physical growth
- Small student-to-teacher ratio
- Strong foundation emphasizing self-discovery and inquiry
- Non-traditional assessment: portfolios, written evaluations, and presentations instead of letter grades; sample standardized tests administered in upper elementary only
- Multi-age classrooms engage students in peer mentoring and modeling; allows teachers to address and adjust to individual challenges and gifts; fosters greater understanding and routine consistency as well as deeper relationships among peers and teachers after being together for multiple years
- All-School Events: All-School Meetings, special field trips (Annual Creek Walk, for example), events such as Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day, Family Work Days, mentoring between classrooms, and school buddies
- Parent involvement: crucial for success of above-listed events (committee work, board work, volunteering, etc.) and financial support (tuition in addition to annual fund, capital campaigns and parent fundraising initiatives)
- Commitment to diversity and equality
- Decision-making by consensus (in classrooms as well as in school governance)
- Peaceful conflict resolution
- Community Service
Get a snapshot of daily life at Richmond Friends School! Newsletters are distributed to parents on a monthly basis and include narratives and photos from each teacher about progress and activities in their classroom
Most Recent Newsletter: